Saturday, December 19, 2009

Dawn til Dusk Prologue

I'm officially antsy. I picked the week leading up to my birthday, in the summer, for my Run the Gorge, and was blessed with temperatures above 100 everyday. I picked the Winter Solstice for Dawn til Dusk 1 and will be running in a monsoon tomorrow. Weather predictions are calling for over an inch of rain and 15 to 20 mile an hour winds....ok, not quite a monsoon.

My plan is to try and not let myself run too much faster than 10:00 per mile pace early. The official sunrise is 7:47, so that will be the start at the fountain in Corvallis' Riverfront Park. My course goes over the Willamette and through Albany at about mile 10 at around 9:30. I'll then cross back over the Willamette and make my way up to Independence and go over the Independence Bridge (and the Willamette again) at mile 30 around 1:00 PM. Then things will get interesting, with a little more than 4 miles of uphill, hopefully I'll hit Skyline road and Vitae Springs in South Salem by 2:30. Then 5 miles of downhill in to Salem and another 5 to the 45th Parallel sign on River Road in Keizer at 4:29 PM.....if all goes according to plan.

Eating while running is still an ongoing experiment. I'll have 120 oz of my custom blended Infinit, which I can not endorse for free enough. Beyond that Jeanne will have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, boiled and salted red potatoes, apples and salty tortilla chips available for me. Oh yeah......and a can of coke for the last 5 miles or so. I've always heard that in Ultra Marathons, they have coke in the aid stations and thought that seemed funny. I had a coke at mile 42 of my 50 miler in Sacramento in October......greatest thing I've ever tasted in my life, ok maybe that's an exaggeration, but it was really good.

Other than some anticipated clothing changes, whose locations will remain secret to protect the innocent, I'm about ready. Next post will be a "hey look, I made it".

No comments:

Post a Comment